Who We Are
What is our Mission?
The Mauritian Wildlife Foundation (MWF) is the only non-governmental organization (NGO) in Mauritius to be exclusively concerned with the conservation and preservation of the nation's endangered plant and animal species.
- To save threatened Mauritian species through the restoration of entire ecosystems.
- To seek new information through field research, data management, captive studies and scientific collaboration for direct application to restoration methods and management.
- To share knowledge gained through restoration programmes with fellow Mauritian and international conservationists.
- To share the joys and benefits of native wilderness and wildlife with the Mauritian people.
- To secure the future of Mauritian species through income generation and sound management of human, fiscal and capital resources.
Our hands-on conservation projects are carried out in Mauritius including the offshore islets and Rodrigues. We work closely with local and international partners, with the long-term aim of recreating lost ecosystems by saving some of our rarest species from extinction and restoring the native forest. Another important part of our work is to raise awareness about conservation issues through our education programme.