"Learning With Nature" on Ile aux Aigrettes forms part of the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation's Conservation Education Project.
"Learning With Nature" enables students to experience and appreciate their natural environment. It is relevant to their day to day lives and to their school curriculum.
"Learning With Nature" has been awarded the "Best Education Project" at the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquaria Awards 2009.
The objectives of "Learning With Nature" on Ile aux Aigrettes
The objectives are to enable students to:
- - experience a natural coralline coastal ecosystem.
- - improve their knowledge and understanding of the non-living and the living resources including the plants and animals and the way they interact with each other in the ecosystem
- develop their basic scientific skills like observing, comparing, hypothesing etc.
-develop environment-friendly attitudes and behaviours
- -develop thinking skills through questioning, discussion and brainstorming
- -develop social life skills such as communication skills, group work, respect of rules etc.
- -develop awareness of the conservation needs and the roles of the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation.
Teachers Resource Pack
All the relevant information to make a successful school visit is available in the "Teacher's Resource Pack" which can be downloaded below.
This pack includes a lesson plan and suggestions for pre-and post-visit school activities.